Name:
Location: Cowlitz County, Washington, United States

Monday, November 22, 2004

Too old for this?

Dave Long threw down the gauntlet--he actually put a link to my blog on his. Now I have to write something. As blogs go, mine has been slow paced. Dave is pretty faithful--he has something new on faith*in*fiction just about every day.

My son had something flu-like last week. I'm too old to be getting up in the middle of the night to deal with vomit. But I told him: I'm your mom. It's in my job description. Getting up in the middle of the night isn't too bad. It's getting up again for work a few hours later that's so hard. He's back in school again today, and so am I.

My plans for Thanksgiving are . . . none. I have no plan. I might get really extravagent and fix myself some Chex mix, or take myself out to dinner, and I will pick up the phone and call family. I haven't spent Thanksgiving by myself since the first year I was separated, and it was pretty miserable. I invited myself to various places after that, for the years that DS was with his dad, but this year I haven't made any plans. DS will go off this year with his dad and dad's girlfriend. At some time during the 4-day weekend I will spend several hours studying for a microeconomics final, and several more hours filling out a grad school application. I even let my boss know I'm available to work Friday if I'm needed. That might be a first. Trying hard not to feel sorry for myself.

Maybe I'll do a little more reading on climate change to cheer myself up. That's a link to a fairly moderate site. If you want to give yourself the creeps, read the Pentagon's writeup on abrupt climate change.

Or ponder this message from the Inuit, who never needed a word for "robins" until the last few years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angie Poole said...

Elizabeth,

Post Thanksgiving blessings to you!

Know how it is with the kid-at-the-dad's deal. Rough gig. This year I had my daughter for Thanksgiving, but she'll be at her dad's for Christmas.

Take care & hang in there.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home